Tips for your studies
Here you can find useful information about studying materials science.
Help for freshmen
- Which login? The access to most of the websites is granted when logging in with your <ETH acronym> or <ETH acronym>@student.ethz.ch (Moodle, Polybox, video portal, document collection,…). When it comes to the internet or VPN, <ETH acronym>@student-net.ethz.ch and its password is needed.
- Newsletter of the SMW: Register here so you won’t miss any events as well as all the information.
- SMW on Social Media: Follow us on Instagram and Facebook!
- Free coffee: In the SMW office in the HCP building you will find a coffee machine which you can use free of charge at any time. We ask you to handle the machine carefully and clean it, if necessary. If there are any problems, please report them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- SMW office: The SMW office can be used by all SMW members. In addition to a sofa for resting, there are two desks, a microwave, a coffee machine and a few chairs. The office is located in the HCP on the F floor.
- Learning rooms: Learning rooms are available for all students of materials science in the HCP building on the F floor.
- Ersti-Stamm: The freshmen party or “Ersti-Stamm” is there to give newcomers an introduction to the culture of the SMW. In order to make this a little easier, all freshmen get a free drink. Come by!
- Prestudy event: Shortly before the beginning of the semester, all new students can participate in an introductory day. There will be a guided tour through the campus, an opportunity to meet some new fellow students and gain important tips from students in higher semesters. The invitation will be sent out early.
- Freshmen Day: There will be no lectures on the first day of the autumn semester. Instead, the SMW and the Department will welcome the new students and inform them about the most important things. The day ends with a barbecue together.
- Maths preparation-course: New students who would like to refresh their maths knowledge before the start of their studies can take part in the maths prep-course for materials scientists. The invitations will be sent out early.
- Wifi and VPN – On Android phones, these additional steps are required for the Wifi set-up.
If not connected with ETH-Wifi, you have no access to certain websites (e-book from library portal, exercise submissions,…). Therefore, establish a connection via this VPN-website. Choose the group “student-net” and log in with <ETH acronym>@student-net.ethz.ch and its password.
- MyStudies – lehrbetrieb.ethz.ch
Here you can register for a new semester, enrol in learning units, find exam results and check the status of your ECTS credits (THE student currency!!). Also, you can comfortably view and print your current timetable.
- Course Catalogue – www.vvz.ethz.ch
On this site, you can find everything about the individual lecture hours: Time, place, lecturer, topic. Click on the lecture room to see where it is located in the building. This is often, not only for freshmen, the rescue in the jungle of room numbers… Also good to know: The aids which are allowed at the examination for the respective subjects are also already listed!
- Studying in the Semester – www.ethz.ch/students
Here you will find all kinds of information about studying, such as the academic calendar, the “ETH agenda”. Here you will also find a link to the regulations, the shuttle bus, maps and information centres.
- Print service – ETH Print Service for students
You can upload documents on this cloud webprint.ethz.ch and print at any printer by using your ETH student card. Each semester, you get CHF 18.- on your account.
- Personal data – www.personalien.ethz.ch
You can change your personal data as well as set a PIN code for the electronic access to the ETH buildings, when it’s out of opening hours.
- Password – www.passwort.ethz.ch (Passwort erforderlich)
Here you can change your ETH password. Note: The login name cannot be changed, it remains as it is.
- E-Mail on mobile devices – Configuration Online Mailclients (ActiveSync) and Apple Mail und Kalender
- ETH Zürich carreer portal – www.careercenter.ethz.ch
Projects and theses
- All research groups from D-MATL – mat.ethz.ch/research/research-groups.html
- MaP – Competence Center for Materials and Processes: The MaP is a network of scientists dealing with materials and manufacturing.
- SiROP: The SiROP platform allows universities to search and publish scientific offers for students. With your ETH-login, you have free access to internships, scientific projects, Bachelor and Master theses. The listed entries are not monitored by the SMW.
Contact the department
On the department website you will find information about studies, current research or events. All D-MATL employees are also listed.
Would you like to volunteer? Then you have many possibilities! If you would like to support students of materials science, then the SMW is the perfect place for you. Otherwise, there are commissions, organisations and working groups for various topics such as environment, university policy, culture, beer or sport. You can find more information and contacts on the VSETH website. You are also welcome to contact the SMW or take a look around to find out which topics are currently relevant and where you could get involved.
Need for a new device for uni or want to rent a laptop? Then take a look at Project Neptun, which offers various hardware, software as well as other accessories. Just log in with your ETH-account and note the autumn/spring slot.